Replacing the Economic Safety Net with a Productive Home
The current economic safety net consists of the following:
- Government programs.
- Savings, investments, real estate, and pensions.
That worked for a while. However, the situation has changed. The old safety net has been shredded:
- Government insolvency.
- Market volatility and financial corruption has wiped out investments/pensions/home values/savings.
- The family has unbundled. It’s being forced apart.
What can be done? We could build something new, something more valuable than a safety net. We need a method of dealing with economic volatility in a way that allows families to achieve the American Dream.
The best way to do this is to rethink the American home. A home that provides us with some economic bedrock to rest upon, and a foundation for future success. We need a home that:
- Pays for itself (the biggest expense we have, by far, goes to zero)
- Supports us with basic services (food, energy, warmth, etc.)
- Provides us an easy bootstrap to new income generation and recovery (micro-businesses)
A home like that is an economic dynamo. It’s not something you use only when you fail (like a safety net), it’s something you use to accelerate success since all of the features that make it great for recovery also help you get ahead.